Making Pancakes from Scratch
It may be easy to throw together pancakes from a boxed mix, but it’s actually not that much harder to make your own pancakes from scratch. You probably already have the ingredients in the house, and the flavor is better than anything you’ll get from a box. To make the process a little bit faster, you can also combine the dry ingredients ahead of time to create your own DIY pancake mix, then add the wet ingredients when you’re ready to cook.
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp. white sugar
- 4 tbsp. melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 egg whites
- Start by whisking the egg yolks, sugar, and melted butter in a bowl until the mixture is smooth. Then, add in the milk and whisk to combine.
- Combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, and salt) in a separate bowl, then whisk them into the wet ingredients.
- In another bowl, whip the egg whites into stiff peaks with an electric hand mixer. Then, gently fold them into the batter.
- Let your batter sit while you get the skillet started. Turn the burner to medium-low heat and add butter or nonstick cooking spray. When the butter starts bubbling, you can add your batter.
- When bubbles start to form on the surface of the pancakes, it’s time to flip them. Then, let the other side cook for one minute.
- Take your pancakes off the heat and serve them with your favorite toppings.