Making Pancakes Without Flour
Whether you’ve run out of flour or you’re trying to avoid gluten, you can still eat delicious pancakes from scratch for breakfast by replacing flour with rolled oats or oatmeal. In order to make that change smoother, it’s beneficial to add some plain or vanilla yogurt to the mixture to help add to the creaminess. For the smoothest possible option, instead of hand whisking your ingredients, combine them in a blender instead!
Ingredients for Flour-less Pancakes
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp. white sugar
- 4 tbsp. melted butter
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup plain or vanilla yogurt
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats (if needed, gluten-free oats may be used)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 egg whites
Instructions for Making Pancakes without Flour
- Mix together your egg yolks, sugar, melted butter, yogurt, salt, baking powder, and oats. In order to get a smoother texture, it might be easier to blend them together on high. Then add your milk. You should have enough milk for it to be thick, but still easy to pour.
- In another bowl, use an electric hand mixer to whip the egg whites into stiff peaks and then gently fold them into the batter.
- Set your heat to a low medium setting and add butter or non-stick cooking spray to the surface while you let your batter sit. Once the butter starts bubbling, add your batter. Make sure you only flip your pancake one tip: when bubbles start to form on the surface of the pancake. Then you can cook the other side for one minute.
- Take your pancakes off the heat and serve!