Pancake Recipe WITHOUT Baking Powder
Want to make pancakes without baking powder? Learn how to make this pancake recipe without baking powder quick and easy! These pancakes use whipped egg whites to make them light, airy, and absolutely delicious!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large egg yolks (room temp)
- 3 large egg whites (room temp)
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar
- First start by separating your egg whites from the egg yolks. Set the whites aside in a separate dish.
- Next, in a large bowl add the flour, salt, milk, vanilla, and egg yolks and mix just until smooth. Do NOT overmix.
- Using a separate bowl and an electric hand mixer, whip the egg whites on medium speed until they start to thicken. Once the egg whites start to thicken, slowly add in the sugar into the egg whites with the mixer still on and mixing. Continue to beat the egg whites until they begin to hold stiff peaks. At this point they will appear wet and shiny. The egg whites must be holding stiff peaks in order for this recipe to work or you need to whip them longer. If the egg whites begin to appear dry and crumbly then you have over-beaten the egg whites.
- Next you will carefully incorporate your two mixtures. Start by adding about one quarter of the egg white mixture into the pancake batter and mix until well combined. This will start to lighten the batter which makes it easier to fold in the rest of the whites. Now add in half of the remaining egg whites into the batter and using a rubber spatula gently fold the whites in while being careful not to deflate them while incorporating. Add the last remaining egg whites and again carefully fold in until evenly combined.
- Over medium heat, set a non-stick pan or griddle on the stove and lightly grease with butter. Using a ladle or measuring cup, pour 1/3 cup scoops of pancake batter onto your hot pan. Cook for about 1-2 minutes until you start to see bubbles form on the surface and the bottom is golden brown. Flip your pancake using a spatula and cook the opposite side for another 1-2 minutes until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve immediately with your favorite pancake toppings. Maple syrup, powdered sugar, butter, whipped cream, and/or fresh berries are all great options!
Calories: 110kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 16mg | Sodium: 389mg | Potassium: 31mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 26IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 94mg | Iron: 1mg